Tuesday, August 9, 2016

#Eliotalong Week 6: Chapters 71- end


I can't believe it's finally the end! It only really hit me when I realised I was on page 900 (!!) and that there weren't many pages left. Weirdly I seem to remember the ending being longer. Anyway :)

First: Dorothea was a total badass in the end. I knew there was a reason that I loved Dorothea. This week's section was basically her going "RIGHT" and then taking charge and fixing everything. Well, everything that was within her power to fix, anyway. I suppose it's because she had her own name dragged through the mud and knows what it's like.

And she finally acknowledges her feelings for Will, says 'screw it' to money and village gossip and marries him anyway. So much love for this lady, seriously. I like how our narrator tells us that Dorothea was never popular due to her two weird marriages but that she seemed to live a happy life anyway. I guess that's Eliot's way of saying bollocks to propriety in her own life. Seriously, so much love for this.

I'm glad Mary and Fred turned out well in the end. They were two of the most genuinely nice characters in the whole book, so I'm happy things worked out for them. 

Can't say the same for Lydgate though... I feel bad for him, really. He had so much potential but it just never came to anything. If he'd married Dorothea or, well, anyone else, who knows what he might have done. Rosamond was as vile as ever. Ugh.

So that's the end! I do love this book. It's so beautifully written and despite its length I'm sad it's over, because I am far too invested in these characters.

Thanks Bex for hosting, until the next one! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment