Monday, August 1, 2016

#Eliotalong: Week 5 - Chapters 57-70


This week was a strange one! Lots of dark secrets and planning and arguments. 

Lydgate and Rosamond
Well, they're having a pretty difficult time of it at the moment. Everything that was sort of approaching the whole way through the novel has finally arrived. Rosamond is definitely trying my patience. The debts aren't all her fault- Lydgate could have done with being a bit more careful too- but at least Lydgate is trying to fix it, while Rosamond is acting like a petulant child and meddling in things that won't help her. If she's so obsessed with Sir Godwin, she should have married him! Lydgate, you're too good for her.

Will
Ugh, speaking of Rosamond being an ass, telling Will about the will (as weird as that sentence sounds...) I suppose he was going to find out eventually from somewhere but of course it had to be her to let the cat out of the bag. He's gone up in my estimation by refusing to take part in Bulstrode's schemes, but this doesn't seem like it will bring him any closer to Dorothea, alas. 
(Speaking of which, there was a distinct lack of Dorothea in this week's reading! I still really like her. I don't really know why, I think she's just been through so much shit I badly want a happy ending for her.)

Bulstrode and... everything
Omg. I remembered going into this that Bulstrode was an unsavoury character but I'd somehow mostly forgotten the extent of it. And now Lydgate's got involved in the mess... I don't think it's a spoiler to say that this will not end well for either of them. 


I can't believe next week is the final installment! Here's hoping for happy endings for those who deserve it, and doom for Bulstrode. And hopefully more of Dorothea!

No comments:

Post a Comment