Saturday, August 27, 2016

Bout of Books #17: Friday

I've been reading:
Shirley by Charlotte Bronte (pp. 1-74)
Different Seasons by Stephen King (pp. 378-440)
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J K Rowling (pp. 421-494)
Pages read today: 211
Total pages read; 720

Pretty successful reading day today! Had a good stretch of time to myself before I went into work in the evening so I got plenty read.

I've finally started Shirley- Jane Eyre is probably my favourite book of all time (or one of them anyway) so I've been trying to read Charlotte Bronte's other stuff. So far Shirley is delightfully weird and different. I love how Bronte seems so determined to set her work out from other stuff out there, not wanting to be mixed up with sentimental romances and even Jane Eyre, saying on the first page that this is going to be "as unromantic as Monday morning". CB, I love you. So far it's feeling a bit like Middlemarch.

Still on "The Body" in Different Seasons. Kind of impatient for them to get to the body, tbh. But yeah, I guess that's the point!

Meanwhile in HP, (spoilers just in case you've somehow avoided them) Mr Weasley's been attacked by the snake, we have THAT SCENE with Neville and his parents in St. Mungo's, and Snape is teaching Harry occlumency. OotP is probably actually one of my least favourite books in the series (too drawn out for me) but I love the fallout with the occlumency and Harry finding out his father wasn't all that great. So I'm looking forward to getting to that bit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment