Friday, April 22, 2016

Did someone say read-a-thon?

I love the 24 Hour Read-a-Thon. There's something about the sheer scale of the thing and the number of people participating that really motivates me. That said, I'm participating slightly... oddly this year.

1. Every single year, I tell myself "Oh, Dewey's read-a-thon is coming up, better book it off work!" Every single year I fail to do so. This year is no different. I'm working Saturday evening, but that still leaves me a couple of hours before work and all Sunday morning!

2. I will not be sacrificing sleep. As someone who balances working nights with morning classes, I never miss out on an opportunity for eight hours of sleep in a row.

3. I love seeing the book piles everyone makes. Love them! I love making book piles myself! But this year there's no book pile, as I'm just planning on reading as much of my current read as possible- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I'm less than halfway through so I doubt I'll get it finished- it's quite the doorstopper- but if I can make a good dent in it that'd be awesome!

4. I'm aware that conventional readathon wisdom advises against reading just one book for the whole 'thon, so I might pick up Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure at some point, as I'm only about a quarter way through it and I need to have it finished for class on Thursday. Actually, considering that, I probably should pick it up at some point.

Weirdness aside, I can't wait! See y'all tomorrow!




No comments:

Post a Comment