Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Re-readathon #2- Week 2!

Monday and Tuesday

The past couple of days have been a depressing WORK-SLEEP-REPEAT so I haven't had the chance to update... or even read all that much, really. I've slightly lost track of my page numbers too... so the figures are my best guess! I've started on Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which is so wonderful. I've read these books basically every year since 1999, and I'm still finding little things that are making me want to write fanfiction. Like, how did Petunia find out about her sister's death? Was it really just opening the door the next morning and finding her now-orphaned nephew? I like to think someone came to see her during the day when Vernon was at work- maybe Lupin or someone, because everyone else was doing stuff- and told her, and she just kind of absorbed it and didn't say a word to her husband. Because my favourite headcanon is that Petunia was secretly very fond of Lily, although she'd never admit it.

On the non-re-reading front, I've started reading The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion. It's one of those books I've been hearing a lot about although I never thought it would be my cup of tea- but I'm actually really enjoying it. It's funny and sweet and just a nice, easy read.

Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Pages read: 150
Total pages read: 663
Books finished: none
Total number of books finished: 2
Non-reread pages read: 198


Wednesday

I finished another book!


Philosopher's Stone is such a quick read- I always forget that. The mystery's solved and they go through the trapdoor and BOOM, it's over. There's a bit at the very end where the Trio are talking about wait, did Dumbledore know that this was going to happen? And in hindsight it's actually really sinister. I never noticed that before.

I'm planning to finish The Rosie Project before I move on to Chamber of Secrets

Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Pages read: 73
Total pages read: 736
Books finished: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Total number of books finished: 3
Non-reread pages read: 64


Thursday and Friday

 I spent Thursday mostly at work or finishing The Rosie Project, so not much to report on the re-reading front. But I finished it, yay! I swear, this re-readathon is doing good things for my normal reading too. I started Chamber of Secrets late on Thursday night and it's going well. It was actually my favourite book of the series for quite a bit, and I can remember why- the whole mystery of the Chamber and the petrified people is just so, so good. Also, Lockhart, who we all love to hate. And maybe love just a tiny bit.

Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Pages read: 121
Total pages read: 857
Books finished: none
Total number of books finished: 3


Saturday

Work was extremely busy today, so I had to stay late, and of course when I got home Doctor Who was my priority- the new series started tonight. It was great but ended in a very cruel cliffhanger. I'm not going to be able to think of much else all week...

Anyway. I've started reading Jo Walton's My Real Children, which I'm absolutely in love with so far. It's about an elderly lady with dementia who remembers two different lives and doesn't know which one is real. I'm loving the mystery of it as well as the historical perspective. So, that's distracted me a bit from Chamber of Secrets... but I still got a bit read today, as far as the Polyjuice Potion incident. I'm hoping to finish it tomorrow to wrap up the readathon nicely!

Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Pages read: 48
Total pages read: 905
Books finished: none
Total number of books finished: 3


Sunday

I got Chamber of Secrets finished and I decided to finish reading My Real Children instead of starting Prisoner of Azkaban. It made me cry! Seriously, such a good book. 

All in all, a really successful re-readathon! I read a total of 987 pages of rereading, and something similar in non-re-reads. It's much more reading than I've been doing lately, so it's been great to dedicate some time to some great books! Thanks to Bex for hosting, we should do this again some time :)

Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling
Pages read: 82
Total pages read: 987
Books finished: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Total number of books finished: 4

Books finished:
  • Ready Player One - Ernest Cline (I was about two thirds in at the start of the rereadathon, but ssh!)
  • Good Omens - Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
  • Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - J K Rowling
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J K Rowling

Non-re-reads:
  • The Blind Assassin - Margaret Atwood (again, about the last 100 pages)
  • Where'd You Go Bernadette - Maria Semple
  • The Rosie Project - Graeme Simsion
  • My Real Children - Jo Walton


No comments:

Post a Comment